A Rant About Irresponsible Parents

Join our discussion

Comments

Ugh. I feel for you and your son. What a horrible thing for your son to have to watch at his age. I would be livid if I was in your position and probably do the same thing. It boggles my mind how thoughtless and irresponsible some parents are.

Hi Laura,

I don’t blame the kids. My son didn’t want to be the boy who wasn’t cool.

The abrogation of parental responsibility just infuriates me.

Faces of Death is hardcore. At 40 something, I don’t want to see it or the sequels. I’ve seen a minute or two and that was enough.

Reminds me of my ex-wife who likes shock and horror flicks; she has exposed my son to them since forever. That pisses me off. Nothing I can do about it now. But I did break a few TVs along the way.

I learned about what went on at a church friend’s all-nighter with about 10 12-17yr-old young men and stand alone to this day with my feelings that my trust was abused. I came early to pick my son (15 at the time) from the sleepover and watched the computer screen that two kids were watching and interacting on. I was stunned at the level of “blood and guts” that I saw on the screen. But what fried me was that I was given NO heads-up about the game, and my son was happy playing it. I’m not a helicopter mom. But I can’t believe I was the only one who had an issue with not asking my permission, and not thinking it through long enough to conclude that there was probably a better game to play. To each his own, I agree. But not MY own!!

Hi Betsy,

I love that last line, ‘To each his own, I agree. But not MY own!!”

That sums it up. You are right, it is an abuse of trust and something that really is disappointing.

Hi Mark,

Well we are all in it together. It is always nice to have the support of the community.

I appreciate your coming by and spending time here.