A Four Decade Love Affair

copa A Four Decade Love Affair

If life were based upon technicalities I could adjust the headline to say a five decade love affair because technically I have been a part of five. Technically I watched the moon landing from whatever baby seat my folks strapped me into, but I can’t say that I remember it.

What I can say is I love Los Angeles and that I always have.

The City of Angels is where I was born and raised and when the choice of where to live was given to me I didn’t have to think twice about it–I stayed.

I stayed for a million good reasons and a million more that had nothing to do with logic or reason. I stayed because I wanted to and not just because it was where most of my family and friends are.

But things happen, people change and hard decisions have to be made.

It is Time To Go

Technically a writer isn’t struggle to the find the write words to use but on a day of technicalities I am struggling. It is because I am not sure how I want to express these thoughts and ideas.

The easiest way is to say opportunity knocked and I answered.

Something wonderful came my way and I have to set sail for the new world and find out if the fountain of youth is located there or if this is nothing more than a pipe dream. It is not a bad thing this adventure I am about to set out on, but it is hard.

It is hard because I have to leave the family behind. It is the middle of the school year so it makes no sense to uproot the children, especially when I don’t know what things are going to be like.

From here they look magnificent and golden but you can’t make educated decisions about some things from a distance, all you can make are educated guesses.

They Don’t Want Me To Go

They cried when I told them about the new joy and asked why it had to be so far away. When I explained why I was doing this my daughter looked at me and said, “how can it make things better when you are breaking our hearts to do it.”

My son composed himself and asked why I would have to move when technology makes it possible to do anything from anywhere. I told him he was right but that sometimes it is still easier to get work done when you are in the same place as the people you are working with.

I told them no final decisions have been made about where we are living but technically that is not true. Unless I absolutely hate things this will be a short separation and we’ll find a place for all of us to live.

Sometimes I hate technicalities but in this case I know it will make it easier for them to finish out the school year without much fuss.

Call Me Jack Reacher

Tomorrow I’ll load up my car with a couple of suitcases and my laptop and take the first step of this new adventure. I intentionally haven’t made a reservation anywhere so I will drive until I get tired and than find a place to sleep for the night.

Along the way I’ll listen to music and lose myself in whatever thoughts come my way and probably come up with a half dozen different Jack Reacher scenarios all starring me.

Technically they’ll work because it is my imagination making them happen. Technically it will work even though I am not as tall as Reacher and never was in the service. And although I am confident in my ability to handle myself I prefer not to imitate Reacher’s penchant for fighting his way through a town.

It makes for a good story but not part of this one.

I’ll Be Back

I can’t remember a time when I liked saying goodbye so don’t worry Los Angeles, because today isn’t any different. You know I am the guy who slips out the door and rides his horse off into the sunset.

No muss, no fuss.

That is how I prefer it. Would much rather be the lone gunslinger riding towards the next adventure.

Technically I am leaving, but I’ll be back again. It might be for a visit or it might be for something more, can’t say.

Be good Los Angeles and I’ll see you around.

challenge94 A Four Decade Love Affair

photo by: laszlo-photo

Comments

Hi Peach,

Change does do that. Any time we are pushed outside of our comfort zone we are forced to learn more about who we are. I think it is a good thing, mostly. ;)

Hi Louise,

I appreciate it. It is more sweet than bitter, but there are moments where it is hard to picture what life is going to be like. But I would be upset if I didn’t take the chance.

Jack, wherever you’re going I wish you well. I guess the good thing about not knowing you in geographical life is that I’ll always know where to find you in virtual life. . . and if you’re travels take you up to the bay area maybe we can go get a beer or two. . . shit, I may even be persuaded to watch a game of some sort. . . :)
    Jared Karol recently posted..AIDS Is Going to LoseMy Profile

So many emotions and thoughts are going through your mind, I’m sure.

Can you tell us what part of the country you’re going to?

Hopefully things will work out. Though I’ll tell you, after having lived in Orange County for a time, getting out is a good thing. But if you love it there…well…you love it there, and perhaps will be back at some point.
    Ron Whitaker recently posted..Amazing Gadgets for the High Tech Savvy Boomer – Round-up FridayMy Profile

Hi Ron,

Yeah, it has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride. I am heading towards the middle, warmer climate type of area.

Orange County is beautiful but it is not cheap. I got out there often, but LA was home.

Big congrats on the opportunity and have fun on your new adventure!
    Reading your post reminded me of quote from a movie (yes, another one on my office wall):
    Accept the enormity.
    Give up the illusions of containment to the hardest fact of all is that, no matter the outcome. It is unlikely that you can never again be the person you have been until now.
    penneyfox recently posted..Just sing, sing a songMy Profile

And, in typical you form, you don’t share where your journey is taking you. Darnit. I knew when you weren’t connected in January (directly) that something was up.

Congratulations…I am crossing my fingers for you b/c you’ve been waiting for this fortunate break.

The kids will grow as a result of this; your son will be the man of the house and he will beam telling you about his new role. Your daughter will shine helping mama more often, and they are resilient. Skype will enable family gatherings all the time.

Connect when you can…so eager to hear the good news. My guest room is all set for you.
    Jayme Soulati recently posted..PR Strategy For Business: Blog Post Or News Release?My Profile

I’m dying to know where you are going! I feel your pain, having moved from my native Bay Area to NJ 2.5 years ago. My husband went in January but I stayed with the kids until June to let them finish the school year. The separation was hard but worth it. We are all adjusted now. But the plan is to go back. Good luck in your new adventure!
    Stacie recently posted..The Red DeathMy Profile

Hi Stacie,

I didn’t go as far East as you but I am definitely not in California any more. I have gotten a few questions about my license plate and why I am so far from home.

Was the adjustment hard or easy for your kids? Mine are not happy about the prospect.

Thanks for the good wishes, I appreciate it.

This post reminds me of some of the pieces I wrote a couple of months ago when I was getting ready to move away from Manhattan. Moving away from what is familiar, comfortable and loved is always impossibly hard, even when the move is good and right. Good luck on your adventure, and safe travels to your brand new destination.
    Samantha Brinn Merel recently posted..You Never Forget Your First TimeMy Profile