Call an over inflated ego, just confidence or what you will, but there are very few things that I really would like to change about myself. But there are some things and some skills that I’d like to have. Here is a list in no particular order:
1) I’d like to be able to speak like Patrick Stewart. I’d like to have the kind of voice that just holds your attention even if I am reading a box of soap..
2) Along those lines I wouldn’t mind being able to sing. If I had to pick a voice I might have to go with Sinatra. Since I am currently listening to him there is some influence there. In theory it could be something else, an original sound. Again, something that has range so that I could really belt it out or sing softly.
3) I’d like to play an instrument and to play it expertly.
4) I’d like to be an expert on medicine/history/astronomy/nanotechnology.
5) I’d like to be able to dunk a basketball. For a brief time I was able to grab the rim, but I chipped the talus on my right ankle and it just doesn’t work the way that it used to. It is like a slinky that has been stretched too far.
6) It would be nice to be Rashi or the Rambam. And if not them, then why not someone whose expertise was sought because he is a modern maven.
7) I’d like to be a pilot. I’d rather fly like superman, but you have to work within reality.
8) I’d like to paint like Picasso or Chagall.
9) It might be kind of cool to be Forrest Gump, to be a part of or experience so many different things.
10) It could be cool to write like Hemingway, George Will, Tolkien or Twain.
Actually I see many of these things as being within reach, it is a question of desire. Do I want it badly enough? If I do am I willing to put in the time and effort to make things happen. Hard work is not something that most of us can skimp on.