Do You Stand "In Line" or "On Line"

I am a native Californian, born and bred within the fine city of Los Angeles. During my travels to different places around the country and the world I have had to wait to get on planes, into movies, walk through airport security and been a member of lines to get into any number of places.

Most of the time I have had to wait “in-line” in spite of the attempts of some people to get me to wait “on-line” but I most definitely have never been part of the queue.

I have to say that I just don’t like the term, “on-line” that is. When it comes to having to wait to enter somewhere it just feels awkward and unnatural to say that I am waiting “on-line” unless of course I am surfing the net.

(Visited 63 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

1. get in line
    stand on line
    and now I’m online…

2. Jack's Shack says

Hi Steg,

I have only heard it used by Easterners.

3. Steg (dos iz nit der Å¡teg) says

“On line” is supposed to be a New York City area thing.

4. The only time i heard the phrase ‘on-line'(besides the web) was in an army flick where recruits had to stand in formation on a white marking on the ground.

p.s. I hate lines and would only stand in one at gunpoint.

5. Jack's Shack says

I know that clump, been there, done that. It can be kind of wacky.

6. I was raised to say “in-line”. But since moving to “me acharon” Israel, there’s no longer a line to be in, just a clump of people jockeying for position.

I have heard people say on-line, I just can’t figure out where they got it.

7. Workman Chronicles says

“On line…”

Isn’t that a Jersey thing?

As a comedian once said…what did cavemen wait in (on) before lines were invented?

*Morris Workman
    workmanchronicles.blogspot.com

8. Jack's Shack says

That is kind of interesting.

9. Maybe I had a weird family upbringing, but I will say I am “in line” at a bank, but “on line” at a movie theater, the only difference being that the bank is a chore and the movie line is part of a social outing.

10. Jack's Shack says

Here in LA it is IN Line as well.

11. In Pittsburgh we wait IN LINE. We may have problems when it’s slippy outside and we may have to run inside in our tenners to red up the place and we always shop with a buggy and carry laundry in bushels…but regardless…we’re IN LINE.

12. New Yorker here, In Line. On Line is the internet.

maybe they have dial-up.

Take Care
    Michael

13. Definitely in-line. On-line makes no sense to me. You are in it, not on it.

Where do they say on-line?