5 Reasons Why I Hate Your â€œEpicâ€ Content
Editor’s note: If this looks familiar it is because it appeared here. But this message still applies. It still works because there is so much crap and clutter floating around out there it makes me want to scream. And now on to our primary message:
Iâ€™ll give you five reasons whyÂ I HATE YOUR EPIC CONTENT:
- It is not epic. It is not original, insightful, educational, recyclable or enjoyable. Not to mention that I am irked that people have overusedÂ epicÂ and made it meaningless.
- You didnâ€™t write your post with a person in mind. It sounds like SEO gobbledy gook and I want to tear my hair out and gouge my eyeball with a fork.
- Your call to action is to sign up for a newsletter that is going to try to sell me more useless nonsense. I donâ€™t have time for this.
- There is no single way to do this right. Stop telling me that you have the sole key to social media success because you donâ€™t and in six months youâ€™ll be gone.
- You sell fear. You prey upon insecurity and worry. You are an emotional vampire and not the sort I want sucking on me.
Social Media Is About People
Technically I could have shortened that rant. It didnâ€™t have to be a list of five line items. It would have been just as easy to make it a paragraph and to qualify that I am typing slow for some people but that is not how I roll.
The blogosphere has gotten to be exceptionally noisy and that has made people fight even harder to find ways to be heard. The thing is that many arenâ€™t thinking about what they are doing or why. They are just out there pounding on their keyboards and screaming into cyberspace silly little slogans that might as well be â€œLOOK AT ME!â€
You donâ€™t have to do that. You donâ€™t have to try to make every post a clone of those that are successful or work hard to try to be different. It is a big world and there is room for multiple voices and it is ok to say the same thing as everyone else as long as you say it in your voice and use your words.
Honda Versus Toyota
There is a reason why there are multiple brands successfully occupying the same space. Look at the auto companies and try to tell me what the material differences are between Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys. If you are comparing equivalent models the cars are quite similar.
If you write like a person and for people you will find your tribe. You will find people that prefer your voice and your way of talking/speaking/explaining and they will hang with you. If you treat them like people you will build a community and gain trust/loyalty.
What Are Your Goals?
What are your goals? Why are you here? What are you doing and what do you hope to achieve?
It is clear to me that some of you donâ€™t have a clue and are just fumbling around. That is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you run a personal blog and donâ€™t care what people think. But if you are business blogger, well some of you are hurting your business.
But hey, what do I know I am just a dad blogger with a pen.