I have a long list of items to teach my children but here is an incomplete list of things that I want to teach them.
- Laugh, love and learn always and forever.
- Never forget to hold your friends and family close to you.
- A good hug can change your day. Everyone needs a hug. We all need to touch and be held. My thoughts on being shomer negiah later.
- The majority opinion is not always right nor the most moral/ethical.
- Some things are worth fighting for and some are not. The hard part is discerning which is which.
- You can never read too many books but you must always supplement your reading/education by doing.
- Travel and interact with the world around you.
- Learn to speak more than one language.
- Play a team sport and learn how to be a team player.
- Understand that life is a journey and that half the fun is indeed getting there.
- Life is filled with moments, some good and some bad. Just remember this too shall pass.
- If saying goodbye doesn’t hurt than whatever it was probably wasn’t worth much.
- Take pictures of friends, places and loved ones. They’ll help preserve some great memories.
- Try not to grow up too quickly. Childhood is but a short time.
- Look for magic.
- Remember that you may not always agree with your parents but they also are looking out for your best interests.
Originally posted here.
Editor’s Note: I wrote the first version of this post in 2005 when I barely knew what blogging was about. I updated it again in 2010 (this version you are reading today) which means it is probably due for a 2015 update. Stay tuned.