My son turned 12 yesterday so we spent a big chunk of the day celebrating. The not so little man has a list of “birthday traditions” he wanted to experience again and so we did our best to make it happen for him.
It was fun but I have a confession to make:
Some of these traditions make me freaking crazy.
There are family members who give him too many gifts. To be fair they spoil his sister this way too but it still makes me crazy.
It is a sore subject for me because part of me loves that they are spoiled but another parts of me has a serious dislike for it. I don’t want the children to think of worth being tied up in what they have and sometimes I worry that so many gifts send the wrong message.
All these gifts create other issues because I think some family members feel like it is a competition and that drives me crazy too. Everyone knows better and the thing is individually we are all on the same page about possessions and self worth but it doesn’t change how it all shakes loose.
So the tradition is for me to enjoy everything up to the gift giving part and then I slip into the corner of the room and try to not to fume. It is a stupid thing to be upset about, but sometimes it just grates on my nerves.
This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post. Itâ€™s five minutes of your time and a
brain dump. Want to try it? Here are the rulesâ€¦
- Set a timer and write for 5 minutes.
- Write an intro to the post if you want but donâ€™t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking.
- This is writing in the raw.
- Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it
- Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post (in the sidebar). .
- Link up your post below.
- Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.