1 Foolproof Way To Become a Better Writer

read write at coco momo 1 Foolproof Way To Become a Better Writer
I am typing slowly because some of you are going to benefit from reading this post…repeatedly.

And yes I said that with an extra dose of sarcasm and snark.

If you take offense at that you should leave now and never come back, but remember if you do you will miss out on learning the many other secrets that will be revealed in a coming ebook.

So here is 1 Foolproof way to become a better writer. Are you ready for it? Are you sure? It is mind blowing.

Stop Trying To Reinvent The Wheel!

Stop trying to remarkable. Stop trying to be epic. Stop trying to be unique, interesting and amazing. Stop worrying about whether you have anything of value to say or share and just write.

It is not complicated, writing that is. There is a beginning, a middle and an end. You don’t need to construct a post that reads like the Declaration of Independence, War and Peace or Moby Dick.

Just write. Put pen to paper, finger to keyboard and let the words flow out of you. Stop worrying about who is going to read your posts. Stop hoping that you are going to be discovered and just write.

Stop letting that little voice in your head say that maybe your shit does stink and that no one is going to like, listen or read. The beauty of this big, beautiful world is that there will always be someone who likes you and what you share. There will always be someone who can relate to what you write.

Really. It is true. I know because I feel it, felt it, did it and done it.

Yes, I know that “done it” doesn’t sound right but I don’t care. Ma and Pa Steiner told me that when I was a grown up I would be allowed to break the rules. Well, I don’t know if I am a grown up but I am breaking the rules and it feels good.

Paralysis of Analysis

Many of us have a tendency to over think what we are doing.  I guarantee that I am among the most prolific bloggers you will ever meet. When I am given blocks of uninterrupted time I can produce multiple posts a day, write thousands upon thousands of words and do it with little effort.

Not only that but I can do it with relatively few errors.

The primary reason I can do it is because I have spent hours practicing my craft. I have taught myself how to produce under virtually any situation.

But that doesn’t mean that I don’t hear voices or little whispers that question my skill and my content. And I am not talking about you cranky motherfuckers who write me nasty letters because you trolls will never be happy with me.

No, I don’t need to swear but yes I did. Sometimes it feels good. Writing should feel good.

That is part of why you need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel because you do nothing but shackle your creativity and apply mental handcuffs. Save the cuffs for the bedroom and or your shrink and just write.

When you do that good things happen.

Just write. Don’t worry. Just write.

But What About The Reader

I am not suggesting that you ignore your readers or say that all writing advice is useless. Jayme has a post about writing that I really like, go read it. Write about things that you love, like, hate or are concerned about.

Those four posts are some of the most popular I have written and have generated a tremendous amount of feedback. Some of that has come via comments or pageviews, but the most has come via email. Emails that people wrote in which they shared their story and or remarked about what they liked about it.

That is because I just wrote from the heart. I didn’t try to be unique. I just wrote. You can do that too. You don’t need to use all of the blog tricks we read and or talk about here and elsewhere.

Just write. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

About Me/About You

Writing is about me and it is about you. I’ll let you decide which comes first. But I’ll also mention that there is a page in our blogs that is really important. It is the “About Me” page. It deserves it is own post so I am going to give it one, but not before I mention it here.

When you can identify what needs to be in your “about me” page writing becomes easier.

You can do this. Just write.

photo by: tonyhall

Comments

I truly appreciate how straightforward you are. To some it might sound harsh, but I see it as you believing in other’s talent and wanting them to believe as well. Stop trying to change the world in 1000 words and write from your heart. Thanks.

Frack. Can you put the comment box like higher? My finger went to sleep scrolling the track pad to get down here and leave my measly comment. I almost stopped along the way to find a rest area.

Some peeps aren’t as laissez-faire as you are; some peeps really care about their influence and will only write what’s tres importante. Me? I’m all for the unique and non-echo chamber stuff, too. ‘Cuz, we’re all sure getting a dose of repetition out there; kinda hard not to when everyone wants a piece of the pie.

So, I say, change it up; go elsewhere for fodder and not your peers’ blogs. If you read the morning national news or pick up a trade pub, there’s a ton of stuff in there that no one is writing about on the ‘sphere.

So, in the midst of all this snark, I’ll get serious for one sec (thanks for the link love; I had no idea when I came over from my Google+ Community called Bloggers Unite!) — stop reading others’ blogs; stop watching Twitter streams for your content fodder. You’re amplifying the echo chamber.

Hi Jayme,

So much of this is subjective. We know from experience that some of the posts that are supposed to be “influential” are filled with nothing but fluff and lauded by noobs who don’t know better.

That is all tied into why we should wander outside of our circles and visit other people. Doesn’t have to happen every time you go online but it should be a regular feature. It is part of what helps us stay fresh and avoid that echo chamber.
      Jack recently posted..What I Said To My Children About TragedyMy Profile

3. StartYourNovel says

*raises hand* Guilty of overthinking here.

The paralysis of analysis has made it so many of my writing projects withered on the vine.

Incidentally, what I feel is my best writing is a little something I write for me whenever I feel like it, but is so personal as to be unpublishable. Not because of its honesty — it’s just that it deals with things I don’t want out in the open. Too private. Guess the challenge there is to apply that same honesty to the pieces I DO want to publish.

Writing without self-censorship has truly gotten me farther than I expected. So there’s that, even if I won’t air my “confessions.” Yeah, I have an actual word file titled “confessions,” go figure. ;)

@StartYourNovel It is easy to get caught up in thinking about our projects. I have done it more than once.

There is merit in writing about those things that aren’t published because they provide insights into ourselves, our thoughts, ideas, feelings and character that we can use to help us on other projects.

4. B4Steph says

It happens that I was just reading William Zinser’s On Writing Well. He essentially says the same thing. Just write. For you. Write with confidence about what you want to write about, and even if it’s a subject your reader may not have been interested in, by your writing they will want to read it. If you write for you.

@B4Steph Hi Steph,

I am not familiar with Zinser, but it sounds like it is worth checking out. I like the advice you relate there. I think that when we write with confidence and passion it is contagious and it helps make others want to read our words.

As an FYI, all of the comments that were here prior to the switch to Livefyre still exist. They are supposed to be imported and will soon reappear on the blog, or so I have been told.

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the blog. The questions you ask really are common and uniform. There are still moments where I ask them. Sometimes I wonder why people read my stories.

Your philosophy works very well for blogging. Unless you are writing solely to doctors/lawyers/engineers there is no reason to compose a post that reads like a tort, submission for a medical journal or specs for building.

But more than anything else, just write and you will find lots of people who enjoy reading your posts.
    Jack recently posted..The Rhythm Of LifeMy Profile

7. Michael says

Nicely stated Jack!
    I’m the reason posts like this come to be. I constantly over think and don’t ‘Just Do it’. I’ve wanted to blog for what seems like an eternity but never knew what to write about, if anyone would read it or if what I was writing was any good.

When people ask me for advice, I tell them to apply the K.I.S.S theory. Keep It Simple Stupid. This hypocrite just had an ‘a-ha’ moment.
    Thanks for the post Jack!

I needed to hear this, thanks. I know it is all completely and absolutely true. And I waste time and I have no writing…I see that in the lack of posts in month. Thanks again for these words!

Being relatively new to the blogosphere, I found this helpful. I soooo appreciated that tone and tenor of the piece too. If you are going to give me advice, i would prefer that you sound like someone I would take it from in \

For me, the blogosphere is a channel to connecting me with like-minded people–individuals who share similar stories. It’s a way to offer validation for one’s journey and gain support in this world where we can sometimes feel alone. Just one voice among many, but when there are many, we are heard. If I over-analyze and become paralyzed, the connections weaken. And I have experienced this. Thanks for the post.

thank you for sharing this interesting post with great points i really enjoyed reading it and i am sure this post will help a lot of people to perfect there writing. Great post.

Good advice for sure. I think it’s easy to get caught up in all the OTHERSTUFF, which for me, takes away from the heart-writing.

Great advice. I’m definitely an over-thinker. Definitely. And I’m realizing now that that paralyzes me and my entire writing process. You’re absolutely right. Just write.

What a great post. We have to feel what we write to draw readers. While many love to read some creative blog posts, most engage in comments when the post is as real as they can feel.

I absolutely love this. I started a blog to find a place to sort through some sensitive issues of my own through writing. But then I became caught up in the idea of blogging, the design elements, the Twitter world, the building a community part. I found it easier to write sweet stories than tackle the issues hiding in my heart. Thank you for this post and reminding me to write, really write, from my heart.

Jesus H. Christ you have a shitload of comments. This is my first visit to your blog I think – this was a great post and my favorite point you made was “write what you know.” That is the singlemost important advice you can get as a writer. Another one of my fave pieces of writerly advice comes from Nike: JUST DO IT. You know?
    (-:

Ado,

I got lucky with this one. The people have gone comment happy but I am always happy to see new people here too because people are part of what makes this so much fun.

Write what you know and just do it work really well together. The point is to channel you passion and take action. It is too easy to sit on the sidelines.

Great post and advice. We always tend to overcomplicate things. I find that some of my best pieces are the ones that I just spewed onto the page in a flurry of words of phrases and then cleaned up later.

Jack, I am refusing to read what others write prior to writing my post. If I am redundant, forgive me. I just don’t want to quell what I have to say by worrying about it others have already said it. :-) Here is what I want to say.

I think you crawled into my head and overheard the conversation I was having with myself as I drove home from work this evening. I started my blog ages ago as a private page for me. I had two readers then: me and a man who encouraged me to start it. Back then, I just wrote. Spewed what was running through my mind. And then other folks started to read and lately, I have found myself stifled by that knowledge.

There are a lot of words racing around my head, begging to be given life in the outside world. But I have been hushing them, for worry of how they will appear once out. Thanks for the reminder to shut up and get out of the way.

I am off to write now.

Thank you!

When I first started blogging, my only goal was to have an outlet to write. It didn’t take long before I got caught up in the “to-do” list for bloggers that seems to permeate the web. Social networking, trolling for readers, branding….I got so caught up in all the detritus that I forgot the point. Now I’m back to writing the kind of posts that I want to write—whether they’re funny or not, they’re 100% me. I appreciate your reminder and think it great advice for any writer, blogger or not.

Love this: “Writing should feel good.”

If we followed the “feel good” method of more of our lives, we would get a hell of a lot more accomplished.

It’s kinda like the old Nike slogan…”Just do it!”

The other day, i watched a short vid by Danielle LaPorte where she said “Do what you say you’re going to do”. She repeated it about 3 times. It was powerful in it’s simplicity. Most of the time we just need to do what we know (or say we are going) to do.

Everyone’s trying to be epic/monumental, etc. But the cool thing is that if we would each put that amount of energy into being authentically ourselves, it would be the most “epic” endeavor of all!

Shall we have this debate here, too? :)

You know I agree with you…and it’s really good you’re pushing people to just write. The only thing I’d add is stop comparing yourself to other writers. We’re all different. We’re all unique. We all can write different things. I learned this lesson as a business owner. I thought you had to have a gazillion employees and a big revenue number to be successful. It turns out a gazillion employees costs a lot of money and revenue is great if it translates to a big profit number. Every once in a while I look at one of my peers and think, “I should be at that level.” But then I have to remind myself I was at that level and we were losing money. A lot of it.

The same goes for writing. Just because you perceive someone to be a better writer than you doesn’t necessarily mean it’s true.

Hi Gini,

This is a case of great minds think alike. I wrote this post prior to reading the one you wrote. I like that one too.

It is hard not to compare ourselves to others. I think ego and human nature impact that a lot. I readily admit that sometimes I look at other bloggers and grow irritated because they appear to have more success than I do.

But as you mention there are lots of variables and we don’t always realize how much our work is valued by others.

Ultimately I come back to the same places in which I ask simple questions like what is my goal and will my current efforts support that. If so then all is good and if not, well time to make a change.
      Jack recently posted..Twitter Is Dead!- Long Live Twitter!My Profile

Jack,
    So here’s my problem. By the time I get through all the comments I forgot the content of the post. Just write. There’s some sage advice in two words. Write. There. Now it’s as short as it is.

Analysis paralysis is one thing. The other is Steven Pressfield’s resistance. That probably only affects the 60,000 word plus crowd. “Writing should feel good.” Ain’t that the truth, man?

Thanks for that post. I need that once in a while. The other thing i need to do is come back here more often. Cheers!

This is an amazing article. I saw a headline and I thought to myself: “If this guy says to just write” he hits the nail in the right spot.

I have a problem of inner critic. Less and less of that problem I face on daily basis, because I consistently write, daily. 1000 words, no more no less. It’s a part of my daily routine. One of the most important aspects of it.

I love wriitng, I love expressing myself in written form. I have been doing it since 2001. I still keep journal of sorts. It’s written for me, so I don’t forget. I started blogging back in 2006. It was a way to keep my private journal away from my mother. Where she couldn’t find it.

But other people did find it. And they listened to my story. I was anonymous and I had no idea what SEO and optimization meant. We didn’t even have Facebook back than. It was all in the blogs, comments.

I didn’t leave comments. I didn’t care much about other people. I was just expressing myself. I didn’t even have the audience that I wanted to attract. I just wanted to express myself.

Back than I learned a lesson in blogging that I find meaningful to this very day. I have seen myself transforming my blogging. I have been reading other bloggers non stop. I have been consistently hanging out on Probloggers of the world and sinking in their advice, but what eventually happened that I developed inner critic.

Once I wanted to create blogging my profession, it didn’t work out. I started caring about others people approval way to much, and that’s where it all crashed.

Now I am care free. I say what I feel and how I feel. If you don’t like me, blow me. There are indeed tons of other people who will agree with you.

Thank you for leaving a comment on my guest post at Smart Boy Design. It meant. Hope to see you back on Alpha Efficiency!

Best regards from Belgrade, Serbia

Hi Jack,
    This is one of the best advices I’ve read in a very long time. I remember your post, a few days ago, about that you didn’t feel like writing, but you still wrote. That’s what it’s about. The more we write, the better writers we become.

I want to relate what you said to a world famous artist.

I read a story about Picasso, and that he had created more than 50000 works of arts. That’s just amazing, and almost unbelievable… but think of it, if that’s true, how many works of arts from this world famous artist do you know? Well, probably not more than 10 :)

Some pretty sane advice here. From you that is. Writing can be hard sometimes. Basically I write two kinds of blog posts on my blog. Technical ones and ‘random thoughts’ ones. Overall I find it harder to write the technical stuff, because I tend to be over-precise and over-investigating on those subjects.
    The random thoughts require almost no thinking. They just flow out the keyboard in a more natural way.
    One trick I sometimes use is pretending to write ‘for’ a certain person. Just like you’re talking to them in person. Sometimes that has lead to me throwing out some posts because they turned out to be well… yannow…
    Good advice, Jack!

Hi Jan,

The technical posts should require a bit more effort just because you need to be more precise. If you are not you might screw up the specs and or directions for how to use that information.

These random ones are easy because as you say they just flow. I like the idea of writing to a specific person- it works.
      Jack recently posted..1 Foolproof Way To Become a Better WriterMy Profile

Hey Jack,
    Well said! But I wanna “construct a post that reads like the Declaration of Independence, War and Peace or Moby Dick.” Only shorter! ;-)
    I bet writing daily cleanses all that out of you! You’re talking about Gladwell’s 10,000 hours. Have you surpassed them by now?
    Love the “Paralysis of analysis”
    Lori

Hi Lori,

I don’t know if I can say that I feel cleansed of the desire or need. Sometimes I feel like I have gotten it out. Sometimes I feel like I have written something meaningful, special and important.

But most of the time I feel like I am just beginning to understand how to do it. Let’s see, there are 8,760 hours in a year and I have been blogging for 8 years now. What’s that work out to be around 70,000 and change.

Of course I haven’t done it for 8 hours a day, every day. But for kicks lets say that it averaged out to 2 hours a day, every day. That works out to around 5800 hours or so, which clearly leaves me short.

However, it doesn’t take into account the years of writing that I put in prior to becoming a blogger so I suppose it is fair to say that those would push me over the top.

Never wrote it down or thought about it like this before, but kind of funny to realize that I hit the mark.
      Jack recently posted..1 Foolproof Way To Become a Better WriterMy Profile

Yeah – you’re over the top ;-) Don’t you wish you’d kept a log of all those hours!!?? If only someone told us what we were shooting for! I’m going to have to settle for 10,000 days. How many years is that?

“Just write from the heart!”

Da-um! Thanks, Jack!

I’m always trying to do everything you mentioned. I do think it’s important to bring value if you’re treating it like a business though (so, I’ll continue to focus on that), but when it comes to sitting down and writing day in and day out, just sitting down and “doing” is good medicine. Some of my favorite posts just kinda, sorta happened that way.

You, Sir are a prolific blogger, so I’ll take your words of advice. I have been easing up on myself lately and that has resulted in more productive writing.

Like you stated, “When you do that good things happen.”

I like breaking the rules too, so have at it!

Hello Craig,

I approach my “professional” writing with a more critical eye than I do this stuff. This is me screwing around, but then again it is not.

Unless the specs require a different voice everything I write comes from the same place.

It is not always easy. I really am exceptionally hard on myself. I dislike quite a bit of what I write. I look at other bloggers and wonder why I am not as smooth as they are or why I missed making the point/sharing the insight they did.

So I focus on trying to silence the voices. Besides it is a lot more fun to break the rules.
      Jack recently posted..1 Foolproof Way To Become a Better WriterMy Profile

Great post Jack! I am struggling with consistency and motivation. The lack of motivation is funny too because I actually really enjoy blogging and all the friends I’ve been making so far. It could also be because I don’t have a lot of confidence in what I’m putting out there.

I always feel like the content isn’t up to par with the other people who’s sites I frequent. I guess in the end, it really doesn’t as long as I’m good with it.

Thanks for the confidence boost. Off to write!

Hi CD,

One of the best things you can do is stop wondering whether people will like it, relate to it or even read it. Just write.

There will always be someone else who does it better than you do it. I always find writers I think are better than myself. I always look at my work and think I could have found a smarter/better/more clever way to write/say it.

Acknowledge that and just write anyway. Some people love Stephen King and others hate him. You will never be universally loved nor hated.

So just have fun.
      Jack recently posted..1 Foolproof Way To Become a Better WriterMy Profile

You inspire so many of us Jack!

That’s the reason that so many like us manage to write daily, though I have yet to sit and write blog posts daily :)

But yes, I catch up with my writing projects and other tasks, though do make sure to write daily! I think nothing else can make you better – other than writing every single day.

You are so right by saying that practice is what mnakes you perfect and that’s the reason you are able to cover so much within no time now. You have achieved a great deal – and the best part is that you are able to pen your thoughts in your own style and way that connects with the readers. :)

Great going and keep it coming. :)

Thanks for sharing :)

Hi Harleena,

I haven’t any doubt that you could blog daily with ease if you wanted to. It is just time and practice. I only wish that we had more time to practice. ;)

And I am forever amazed/appreciative of how small the world has become. It is amazing to me to think about how we now can befriend people from around the planet this way.
      Jack recently posted..1 Foolproof Way To Become a Better WriterMy Profile

Couldn’t have said it better Jack! This not school anymore, where we were forced to write about a specific topic and get it done by a specific time (at least its not like that for me). I started my blog so that I could write what I wanted and how much I wanted and when. I do set aside times to write, but usually words just come out whenever they want and I jot them down where ever I am. And I love it. If you are passionate about the thing you are saying the ideas and the words just keep coming.

Important post, Jack. I’ve got drafts that have sat around for months simply because I think they need more tweaking. That they’re not good enough. How much more prolific could I be if I just wrote, spent a few minutes on the edit, and then hit “publish”?

Yes, just writing and publishing quickly may lead to some lesser quality posts, but it may also lead to something great. And if it doesn’t, who cares? Only 8 people are reading anyway. It’s my opinion that’s most important. With the blog being mainly a recap of my thoughts and life experiences, a quicker process leads to more memories captured.

You’re on a roll lately. Keep it up, my man. Great work.

Thanks, JackB…Many of us are not professional bloggers – it might be a way to journal or to connect with others who are in the same boat, someone who does not live in our house and is tired if hearing our rants. I think one of the most important things to keep in mind is simple: if the topic doesn’t mean anything to you, don’t bother writing about it because your lack of interest will show. (That, and for pete’s sake, use spell check if you aren’t a good speller.)

Hi Nina,

It is easy to do. I wrote and rewrote several thousand words of fiction but never published it because I got shpilkes over whether it was believable.

I kept staring at it, wondering if it sounded like a man trying to write like a woman. Finally I said screw it and published it. There is much to be said for trying to write something good, something solid and something memorable.

But if we never get around to publishing/producing then what is the point.
      Jack recently posted..1 Foolproof Way To Become a Better WriterMy Profile

Jack thank you for the words of encouragement. I struggle terribly with writing…I hope that its because i’m a newbie and it will will get better with time. I am now going to browse some of your other posts to see what else I can learn.

Hi Kim,

Writing reminds me of walking. When you first learn how to walk you fall down constantly but you keep picking yourself up so that you can do it again.

Writing isn’t much different. You punch and poke away at the keyboard and slowly you start to figure out how to make the keys sing your song.

But it takes time and practice to do that. The problem is that many people don’t give themselves time. They don’t remember that we aren’t born walking or that you need to learn how to walk before you can run.

Write today. Write tomorrow. Write frequently. It gets easier.
      Jack recently posted..1 Foolproof Way To Become a Better WriterMy Profile

Dude. The link love is lovely, and I’m honored you were inspired by my post today to write this. It’s a kick in the pants for more peeps than I know, and I hope it resonates with everyone here and coming.

When @SkyPulseMedia, that’s Howie the Alien, scored the first comment today, he said we’re alike, we shoot from the hip when we write. You do, too. That’s a sign of confidence, I do believe; when you post an opinion and never worry how it reads until the comments come through to let you know.

And, you take them or leave them; I take them, you leave them. #ThatIsAll

We find more ways to shackle ourselves, our thoughts and our creativity than we need to. I am sick of it. I am doing my best to just eliminate that crap. I like watching the crazy misfits we run with shoot from the hip.

Call down the thunder and let the lightning fly- makes life much more fun and far more interesting.
      Jack recently posted..1 Foolproof Way To Become a Better WriterMy Profile

you’re damn right i bloody overthink things. i seek out perfection too. makes me waste a lot of time thinking and not doing. not when it comes to writing, lord knows my writing is know where near perfect, but when it comes to personal projects that could make or break me, i overthink. great post Jack. as always

Jack,

I fucking love this. Yes, I just used a curseword and I hope that’s alright. If not, you can let me know not to do that again.

I believe in my heart that what I need to do is just write and stop complicating everything. Does this post resonate? Do I make sense?

Here is the important thought – do I make sense to me? If my post makes sense to me, chances are good it makes sense to someone else.

I get too bogged down in not being asked to guest post at a lot of places. I get down on myself for not doing more. The way to do more is to just do it of course.

Thanks for the reminder Jack.

Hi Nancy,

I don’t mind the salty language. I understand what you are saying because I fall into the trap of sometimes wondering why I don’t get more recognition. It is normal and natural.

It is really easy to look at other bloggers and wonder why someone who isn’t any better or even as good gets a bit more than I do.

It is easy to get caught up in thoughts of “this post sucks” or “it is not good enough.” That is why I say we need to just write and to do our best to tell our egos to shut up.

We have stories. We have value. We mean something. Just write and good things will come from it. I believe that with all my heart.
      Jack recently posted..1 Foolproof Way To Become a Better WriterMy Profile

Trackbacks

1. [...] like it, you can leave and miss out on other great shit. your call. Jack blogs about fatherhood and blogging and every so often shares literature he’s working on that make me wonder if it’s really [...]